November 1st, 2018 to November 16th, 2018
May 31st, 2018
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The world’s first moving images were shot in Leeds in 1888 by Louis le Prince. Today Leeds is a major centre for film production and exhibition. A qualifying event for the BAFTAs and the Oscars, Leeds International Film Festival (LIFF) is a national celebration of global filmmaking culture.
Founded in 1987 Leeds International Film Festival is renowned as a dynamic event with a reputation for challenging and innovative programming. LIFF primarily supports outstanding new talent and established talent that has not received deserved exposure in the UK. LIFF considers narrative, documentary and animated films, in feature-length and short formats, in multiple genres and from all countries. Last year LIFF presented a huge variety of exceptional films at over 300 screenings and events at 30 venues over 15 days.
COMPETITIONS & AWARDS
LIFF is a qualifying film festival for the Oscars® and BAFTAs
The winners of LIFF’s Louis le Prince International Short Film Competition and World Animation Competition may be submitted to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences for consideration for nominations for the Live Action and Animated Short Film categories of the Oscars® respectively. Any British short film selected by LIFF may be submitted to the British Academy of Film & Television Arts for consideration for nominations for the British Short Film category of the BAFTAs.
Short Film Competitions
• Louis le Prince International Short Film Competition – cash prize £1,000
• World Animation Award – cash prize £1,000
• British Short Film Competition – cash prize £1,000
• Yorkshire Short Film Competition – cash prize £500
• Leeds International Screendance Competition – cash prize £500
• Leeds International Music Video Award
• Leeds Short Film Audience Award
• The Dark Owls International Fantasy Short Film Competition
• Dead Short Award
Feature length films
Lectures, seminars, masterclasses, ...
FESTIVAL HAS AN ENTRY FEE